1 (edited by gnuman 2018-08-09 21:37:04)

Topic: I need help to upload my site

I uploaded my files using the guide here applying the command:

rsync -av --delete-before ./public/ gnuman@ssh.tuxfamily.org:softworks/softworks.tuxfamily.org-web/htdocs/

I encounter the following problem, for many files, indeed:

rsync: chgrp "/home/softworks/softworks.tuxfamily.org-web/htdocs/.index.html.YpTKgk" failed: Permission denied (13)

I read the wiki topic and tried to change the permission, But I can't see my blog.
I obtain only

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /index.html on this server.

Can you help me?

The Freedom Technologies Are Available... And Work!

Re: I need help to upload my site

Hi,

The documentation may be a little old; rsync -a (i.e. rsync --archive) tries to enforce owner, group and permissions for all uploaded files, which is probably not what you want on TuxFamily's servers as:
1) user/groups are very likely to differ on TuxFamily's servers compared to your local machine
2) the virtual filesystem you can see over SSH has restrictions for chgrp operations
3) you probably do not want to enforce ALL permissions through rsync since the "setgid" flag we set on directories usually proves very, very useful for proper quota accounting and proper group assignment.

Long story short, just try running rsync without --archive, unless you have some private files that should remain "o-rwx" at all times. That said, I've just had a look at your files and it looks like a static website with no private file. I took the liberty to fix the permissions (which were fucked up by rsync, as it aborted too early):

chmod -R g+rwX,o+rX *
find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 -r chmod a-x

Re: I need help to upload my site

xavier wrote:

I took the liberty to fix the permissions

chmod -R g+rwX,o+rX *
find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 -r chmod a-x

Thank you very much for your explaination and for the time you took examining my project.
I appreciate very much your service to the community here at tuxfamily.org!

The Freedom Technologies Are Available... And Work!