Topic: Creating files / directories in /home

Hello, some months ago I was able to create files and folders in my /home from SSH, but now if I try I get:

3v1n0@pastis:~$ touch test
touch: cannot touch `test': Disk quota exceeded

The same for dirs and other write operations... By the way my /home is storing just few KBs (I've read that it has the 1MB limit, but this should't be the case).

Now I was trying to create a new "ssh_keys" files to load my public ssh key, but I'm failing. Any idea?

Thanks.

PS: Why the quota command isn't available to get the quota status of our space from ssh?

Re: Creating files / directories in /home

Hello, and sorry for the late answer :)

Actually, yes, you have reached the 1MB quota. This quota is not really applied to your /home directory but rather on the set of files belonging to the group `3v1n0' :
* in your /home
* in /home/3v1deb and in your webareas (/home/3v1deb/*-deb)
* in /tmp
* in /var/tmp
* in /var/lock

3v1n0@pastis:~$ ls -ald /tmp/usr
drwxr-xr-x 3 3v1n0 3v1n0 4096 2009-04-23 00:17 /tmp/usr
3v1n0@pastis:~$ du -hs /tmp/usr/
944K    /tmp/usr/

Woops ;)

Gray's Law of Programming:
        'n+1' trivial tasks are expected to be accomplished in the same time as 'n' tasks.
Logg's Rebuttal to Gray's Law:
        'n+1' trivial tasks take twice as long as 'n' trivial tasks.

Re: Creating files / directories in /home

3v1n0 wrote:

PS: Why the quota command isn't available to get the quota status of our space from ssh?

Because the quota isn't available locally ;-)

Another reason is that /usr/bin/quota need root access to aquota.* files, and /usr/bin/quota is not SUID for obvious reasons ;)

But that should be possible to write a homemade fetch-only binary to fetch the quota through a RPC call, maybe one day ;-)

Sylvain