Topic: [OK] Site cracked

Hi, today somone cracked into the site of my project (http://oproj.tuxfamily.org) and replaced the index page with a mass mailer thing. I already deleted it, but I'm surprised.

Anyone having the same problem?

Re: [OK] Site cracked

Argh, to garantee the integrity of all files, I've deleted it all. Installing a fresh MediaWiki now =(

I presume that your webapps were not up to date, this is what happens when this is the case.

The good news is the fact that you are going to update your website more often than before now, you have been warned this time.

Another good news, the mass mailing thing was not used yet, this is a good news because we are not very patient in case of such abuse.

Sylvain

Yes, It was my fault. I was using a not-so-old version of pmwiki. Now I've changed password and the wiki system to dokuwiki.
I just posted this to you don't think I was abusing your host (I really appreciate the hosting service, thanks!).

openproj wrote:

Yes, It was my fault. I was using a not-so-old version of pmwiki. Now I've changed password and the wiki system to dokuwiki.

Doh!

openproj wrote:

I just posted this to you don't think I was abusing your host.

Actually, it happens quite often, we are aware about all of those stupid bots which use holes in not up to date webapps. We know that you aren't abusing voluntarily ;)

But, we have to live with that, on a side we can blame the stupid bots, on the other side we can blame the users to forget to update their webapps. As this is quite useless to blame bots ;) we can only blame users although we don't enjoy doing that.

Anyway, thanks to have warned us, usually users just hide what happened ;)

openproj wrote:

(I really appreciate the hosting service, thanks!).

Thanks ;)

Sylvain